Virtual interviewing is the new normal but basic, important interview skills remain the same. Here are five useful tips to help you ace your virtual interview and impress your future employer.
- Prepare for your interview, research the company, look at the interviewers linked in profile, ensure you know as much as possible about the position before the interview takes place
- the virtual interview is advantageous, you can have your notes on the screen with you as you interview, take advantage to ensure you nail any tough questions.
- Tailor your interview answers to what the company is looking for. If you are looking for a position in Finance then make your profile and answers around your experience with numbers, software and reporting. Also mention future qualification aspirations, ACCA, ACA, CIMA for example
- Try to answer your questions where possible using the STAR method. The STAR method is a structured manner of responding to a behavioral-based interview question by discussing the specific situation, task, action, and result of the situation you are describing. Situation: Describe the situation that you were in or the task that you needed to accomplish.
- Finally! Turn Off selfie camera so you cannot see yourself when interviewing. Focus on the interview and the engagement, if you turn off the selfie view, it will prevent you worrying about your hair and what you look like, it almost becomes a real F@F interview and the interviewer will have a more natural impression of you.
We wish you all the best for your next virtual interview!
Share your feedback, comments or suggestions in the comments section below 🙂